Getting Started The Passover Meal has been celebrated. In the course of that meal Jesus had demonstrated and spoken of humility and true greatness, he had warned Judas of the danger of the choice he was making, he had given his disciples the new Supper as part of the New Covenant, and he had warned them, and especially Peter, about the negative things that lay ahead. The lengthy Upper Room conversation recorded by John continues in chapters 14-17. Since the purpose of this course is to study the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus, we look at only the highlights of that conversation, particularly the parts that deal specifically with his leaving them.
1. Which doctrines of the Bible do these words of Jesus help us understand?
2. How do these words fulfill the same purpose for us that they fulfilled for the disciples in the Upper Room?
3. Why are Jesus’ words in verse 6 so important? (Compare Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5-6; 1 John 1:7.)
4. What did the disciples not understand?
5. Explain what Jesus means by the answer he gave to their question in verses 20-22.
6. Your grief will turn to joy. In what sense are those words still true for believers?
7. Explain how Jesus’ promise in verse 23 is still true for us.
8. How do the following post-resurrection words of Jesus give us examples of “plain language about the Father”? Luke 24:44-49; Matthew 28:18-20.
耶稣 在复活后的教导是如何给了我们一些“不加修饰 （平铺直叙）的语言来讲叙天父”的例子《路加福音》24：44－49；《马太福音》28：18－20节。
9. How do Jesus’ words in verse 27 explain the result of his work as Mediator?
10. Concerning verse 33, how can a believer have peace and trouble at the same time?
11. How do these verses reveal the way in which true glory would be brought to the Father and the Son?
12. How do the words of this prayer fit with what Jesus had said at the beginning of his farewell address in John 13:31-33?
13. Which words in the prayer do you think give special comfort to believers?
14. Which parts of the prayer have a special message for us, even though Jesus was praying for his disciples at that time?
15. How do we see ourselves in verse 20?
16. In what sense do we have the glory that God gave Jesus? (v. 22)
17. In what sense do we have complete unity with other believers in Christ?
18. How do you see gospel work done by believers today in verse 26?